The beginning of the 20th century was full of changes and adaptation. Starting from the construction of the Saint Bartomeu del Grau road and the modification of the agriculture and the cattle industry.

Cereals were replaced by potatoes and “ferratges”. The breeding of goats was also replaced by cows and pigs. At the beginning of the twentieth century, Gurb was an expert in the cattle industry, like milking cows and pigs. They started making cold meat.
Farmers started to mechanize the tasks they had in the meadow. 75% was the textile industry and the other 25% was farming.

Talking about roads, like I said before, they build the Saint Bartomeu del Grau road, due to the fact that this area of the village was super isolated. This road, at the present moment, is the main avenue of the town it goes ahead of the pharmacy and the most famous bar.

Factories also changed. At that moment, coal was super expensive because they had to buy it in other countries, so the main source of energy was petrol. Some factories were built, like the “Central elèctrica de Fecsa” put it together in 1920, “Malars” and “El Tint”.
“Malars” was one of the most important steps of the Osona industrialization process. It was a textile industry bought by Jacint Rifà in 1890. It was placed in the right hand of the river “Ter”, near the river “Gurri” between Roda and Manlleu. 94 persons worked there.
“El Tint” had 65 workers. They produced dyeings, fertilizers and some pieces of clothes. This factory already operated since the middle of the nineteenth century and it was placed in the other end of Gurb, where actually is placed the road Vic-Manlleu. The owner of it, Antoni Puig, married Enriqueta Porret that complemented his textile business with a large number of farms. One of them was called “La Vaqueira”, located next to the factory. Currently, this is a cottage ”La Vaqueira del Tint” named after the factory next to it.

“Esperança” while it was being built (1925)


The train station was built as well in the beginnings of the twentieth century, it went threw “l’Esperança” and various roads of Gurb. With the goal of studying and improving agriculture and the cattle industry, it was built (In 1924) a farming station that should be used by the whole area. This was placed in Gurb, specifically in “Esperança” (In the actuality is the town hall). The construction started in 1925 and, in the present, the buildings that were put up still last. In 1934 the station stopped being the farming station of the region. Nowadays in these constructions are placed the town hall, the youth club, the post office, a doctor’s office and, the theatre.

The civil war was succeeded by lots of changes. The most radical political parties (left-wing) and the trade union took control. The local committees of anti-fascist militias took the power of the area, replacing the town halls.
To be able to face the urgent necessities of the village they took the goods from other communities, like nuns. They also increase taxes for 21 persons.
With the money that they collect, they made 100 desks, 200 chairs, and a wardrobe.
To bring water to the main school of Gurb, they installed a motor in the well, but then they discovered that the water was undrinkable.
It was built a bridge and the Argila road was repaired, cause they wanted to improve communications.
Anti-fascist imprisoned and killed people that were considered right-handed, 13 people died.


0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Aquesta web utilitza galetes. Si no dius res, vol dir que vols afegir-te    Veure Política de cookies